Pork And Sauerkraut

Saturday, January 1, 2011
For most years of his life, my 12 years, ate the same food for his birthday. And not even his favorite.
But when you first Central Pennsylvania was born in January and want to eat a little luck on your way to the new year, pork and sauerkraut. Like it or not.
I do not think I'm too superstitious: Can I delete all e-mails go out of death or mutilation threats, if not shipped within 24 hours, do not worry about walking under ladders, and I broke a mirror or two.
But there is something in the tradition of Pennsylvania Dutch, that I was hooked. Every year I buy have a big pig roast, a bag of sauerkraut (or sauercrap call my kids) and potatoes.
And I'm not alone. One of the busiest areas of the grocery store on the eve of the new year is the portion of meat. Anyway - roast pork, pork loin, pork butts, pork chops, ham, sausage, hot dogs, even - if it was a pig, it was sold.
I can not say with certainty that the annual dinner of pork and sauerkraut brought me luck, good or not. But he certainly brings all to eat together, which in itself is bad luck.
Pennsylvania Dutch superstition says eating pork luck, because the roots of pork forward in search of food, while the zero chickens and cows stopped again. In the future, it is much better, especially nowadays.
In the south, people eat black-eyed peas for luck and vegetables such as cabbage, kale, cabbage or spinach to bring money. Other cultures eat pickled herring, pickled beef, cabbage, corn bread, raisins, wrapped sticky rice cakes, codfish fritters cooked bagel or happiness guarantee. Boiled cod? I'll take pork, thanks.
Due to our central Pennsylvania sensitivities, I suppose the real explanation for the food of New Year's Day, probably born from a practical reason, rather than mystical.
Hundreds of years ago, a desperate mother to find a farm to send their children to local cabbage and pork threatened to eat on New Year's with bad luck if you do not want to sit and mud. When his threats worked, he repeated the following year and voila, was born a tradition.
Fast forward to today. With the United States into the worst recession since the Second World War, I think everyone is looking for any way to increase your chance.
After the reports is a strong contraction in gross domestic product, more plant closures, layoffs, and unemployment be in double digits, we need all the help we can get. Maybe we should all eat the food of good fortune in one meal. Cod and boiled cabbage. Pork and pickled herring. Maybe not.
All I know is that the pork or pork, no, my good luck charm of the new year came 12 years ago as a sweet kid with a big smile and a great heart even more.
I want him to grow up, I feel happy, even if the news is bad. And not sauercrap.

0 comments:

Post a Comment